The presence in Grenoble of several special large research instruments, such as the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) and the neutron facility of the Laue-Langevin Institute (ILL), state-of-the-art analytical and material characterization research tools in electronic microscopy, mass spectroscopy, as well important facilities in modern soft matter and biology like the Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire de Physique (LiPhy), the lnstitute de Biologie Structurale (IBS), the Institute of Neurosciences (GIN) or Albert Bonniot Institute (IAB) makes it uniquely suited to offer a research-oriented, 2nd-year master program like MCMV.
The core program of MCMV includes 5 courses : physics of living matter I, complex fluids, large scale facilities, soft matter and numerical methods. Depending on their interests and career objectives, students are then free to follow 4 other courses of the same domain : Out-of-equilibrium statistical physics, physics of living matter II, nanopores and membrane technologies and experimental project or four courses of the M2 Matière Quantique (MQ, https://master-physique.univ-grenob...) (not in English) : Physique du solide III, mécanique quantique - seconde quantification, transitions de phases, supraconductivité.
It’s not just training physicists able to develop instrumentation, but also experimental physicists training to understand, explore and modelise complex matter like the living matter.
Enrollment in the MCMV Research Master :
1) "Phelma" engineering students who would want to follow MCMV courses as part of their 3rd-year curriculum should contact :
2) All others can follow the instructions on the dedicated UGA web page
The Core Curriculum
18 ECTS of mandatory lectures
- Physics of Living Matter I (3 ECTS) : Alexandre Dawid
- Complex Fluids (3 ECTS) : Philippe Peyla
- Large Scale Facilities (3 ECTS) : Helmut Schober and Luigi Paolasini
- Soft Matter (3 ECTS) : Cathérine Quilliet
- Numerical Methods (3 ECTS) : Judith Peters
- English (if B2 is not acquired) or a cross-TU (3 ECTS)
Courses of choice
12 ECTS for lectures related to the same topic :
- Out-of-equilibrium Statistical Physics (3 ECTS) : Bertrand Fourcade
- Physics of Living Matter II (3 ECTS) : Cathérine Bougault, Dominique Housset e.a.
- Nanopores and Membrane Technologies (3ECTS) : AL Biance
- Experimental Project (3 ECTS) : Thibault Deviller, Hervé Guillou
or 12 ECTS for lectures of the M2 MQ :
Voir en ligne : Website at UGA